There’s something irresistible about a freshly baked homemade pound cake, especially when it’s infused with the tangy and refreshing flavor of lemon. This classic dessert is a crowd-pleaser and a true star on any dessert table. So, let’s dive into the world of baking and learn how to make a moist lemon pound cake from scratch, complete with a zesty lemon glaze.
The Perfect Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, ensuring each is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Add in the lemon juice and lemon zest, mixing until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined; be careful not to overmix, as this can result in a dense cake.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the pound cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the cake from the pan and transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
The Tangy Lemon Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- Whisk together until the glaze is smooth and has a pourable consistency.
- If desired, add more powdered sugar or lemon juice to achieve your desired sweetness and tanginess levels.
Serving and Storage:
Once the homemade lemon pound cake has cooled, drizzle the lemon glaze over the top, allowing it to beautifully soak into the cake. Let the glaze set for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
This moist and tangy lemon pound cake is perfect for any occasion, from tea parties to summer gatherings. The flavors are bright and refreshing, making it an ideal dessert to enjoy during warm weather.
For storage, you can keep the pound cake at room temperature for up to 3 days, covered tightly with plastic wrap or stored in an airtight container. Alternatively, you can refrigerate it for up to a week, bringing it back to room temperature before serving.
So, gather your ingredients, preheat the oven, and embark on a delightful baking journey to create your own homemade moist lemon pound cake with a luscious lemon glaze. Get ready to impress your family, friends, and yourself with this delicious treat that celebrates the bright flavors of lemon!