A wedding cake is the centerpiece of any wedding reception and is often one of the most memorable aspects of the celebration. If you’re planning a wedding and want to create a beautiful and delicious cake without the need for professional baking skills, we have the perfect solution for you. This easy-to-follow buttercream frosting wedding cake recipe will guide you through the steps to create a stunning cake that will impress your guests.
For the cake:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
For the buttercream frosting:
- 3 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Food coloring (optional)
- Decorations of your choice (edible flowers, sprinkles, etc.)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, ensuring each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk. Begin and end with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Divide the batter equally among the prepared cake pans, smoothing the tops with a spatula.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter until creamy and smooth.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour in the heavy cream and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- If desired, add food coloring to achieve the desired hue for your wedding cake.
- Once the cakes have completely cooled, carefully level the tops with a serrated knife to create even layers.
- Place one cake layer on a cake stand or serving plate. Spread a layer of buttercream frosting on top, using an offset spatula to create an even layer.
- Repeat this process with the remaining layers, ensuring each layer is level and evenly frosted.
- Once all layers are stacked, apply a crumb coat of frosting to the entire cake to seal in any loose crumbs. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Apply a final coat of buttercream frosting to the chilled cake, using a spatula to create a smooth finish.
- Decorate the cake as desired with edible flowers, sprinkles, or other decorative elements.
Tips for success:
- To achieve a smooth finish on your buttercream frosting, dip your offset spatula in hot water and wipe it dry before each smoothing motion.
- For a more stable cake, it is recommended to assemble and frost the cake a day before the wedding. This allows the flavors to meld and the frosting to set.
- Keep the decorated cake refrigerated until it’s time to display and serve.
Creating a stunning wedding cake doesn’t have to be a daunting task. With this easy-to-follow buttercream frosting wedding cake recipe, you can confidently embark on your cake-making journey. The final result will be a delicious, visually appealing centerpiece that will add a personal touch to your special day.